i though this was an amazing story
I met an amazing woman on the Oprah show yesterday that really make me think about how messed up our society can be sometimes.
Her name was Marian and she is a single mom of 3 children. She has a bachelor's degree from Clemson in Hospitality and Tourism and worked in the field for many years. When her husband left her and did not provide child support for the three children, she was forced to take on another job, besides her tourism job and she still was not making ends meet. She was scraping by on the "wing and a prayer" and hardly got to see her children.
Her financial situation was horrible, but she knew she must work and did not want to be one of those mothers that took advantage of the welfare system.
Well, one of her friends told her about an upscale gentlemen's club in Atlanta that paid very well. She battled with the questions (should I do this? is it right? what will people think?), but because she was desperate to support her family, she decided to give it a try. Having a killer body for a 41 year old definately helped the situation, haha.
GET THIS... now she works 3 nights a week, she is at home when her kids wake up and she sees them off the school. Then she goes back to bed for a little bit, works out, does some housework and runs errands, picks up her kids from school, helps them with homework, fixes dinner, puts them to bed and then goes to work from 8 p.m. to about 4 in the morning. She has more MONEY than she has had in a long time, actually has a savings and a life insurance policy. She has MORE TIME with her kids and, I have to say, she looked like a fantastic mom. Of course, she worries all the time what people think and her 13 year old daughter said she is proud of her mom and knows that she is doing what she can to be available to her kids and make a living. She was a little shocked when her mom first told her, but now she understands and doesn't care what anyone says or thinks.
NOW, I am not saying that I could do this, nor would I want to (or be able to with my fat ass), but I gotta give the woman some credit! She IS working, she IS making ends meet, she IS being a fantastic mom to her three kids and she IS educated.
This just goes to show that there is seriously something wrong with our society. That to be able to WORK and make money to support a large family you are forced to work in environments that you never intended, or achieved a college degree to do. I really thought she was a remarkable woman who was a great mom, well educated, but happened to be a stripper named Charlie 3 days at week. Whatever works! I would rather slip a $20 into her G-String than support some low-life, lazy person on welfare. But, this is just MY opinion. I welcome all of you to share yours. :)
Here's the link for the story if you want to know more
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200802/20080227/slide_20080227_350_108.jhtml
Thursday, February 28, 2008
What would YOU do to support your family?
Posted by Stacy Birk at 2/28/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








0 comments:
Post a Comment