he had a profound impact on my life
I was looking through old newspapers articles I had written for "The Lantern" at Butler County Community College and found a column I wrote my sophomore year when I was editor. I had completely forgot I wrote it and re-reading it brought back a flood of memories for me. I wish I had a photo on my computer to share with you as well, but I don't. But, here is my column.
I am who I am today thanks to "My Jim"
As the soldiers walked out the door of the funeral home, I turned to look my tear-filled cousin in the eye as we waited for the 21-gun salute that would soon follow. Silence and an occasional sob were all that could be heard inside the room. Then, with their guns pointed upward, one by one the soldiers fired their guns, sending chills down my spine. But also a sense of pride and happiness overwhelmed me because I knew this is the way Jim would have wanted it.
I leaned over to hug my mother as they continued firing and cried more. We approached the casket to say our good-byes and I slipped a note in the pocket of his gray suit with “My Jim” written neatly on the front with pencil.
The pastor described him as the good Samaritan, always willing to do for others, even when he didn’t have many possessions himself. My mom described him as giving and brave. My cousin described him as a great guy. To me, he was simply “My Jim.”
Jim married my grandma when I was a child. Although he wasn’t my biological grandpa he always treated me as his granddaughter; taking me out to eat, buying toys and loving me as a grandpa would. I would yell to him, “Come play with me My Jim,” and he would run outside to greet me.
When he and my grandma divorced he still remained a major part in my life setting up a college fund and writing letters to me occasionally.
But as time passed and distance became greater, Jim and I didn’t talk as much. I saw him during the holidays and he came to Kansas to attend my high school graduation. While the rest of my family was wearing dress clothes, Jim showed up in a suit saying he only wears the best for Stacy’s graduation.
Jim lived day to day, never quite knowing what would happen or what would come up. Being a former soldier and prisoner of war, he knew what having it rough really meant and he knew that he was fortunate to have what he had; and he had little. Never owning any real possessions, Jim lived so that he could pack up and take off in his car any day.
He worked several jobs after serving in three wars. He was a chef and part owner of several restaurants, worked in a liquor store, worked as a security guard, and owned approximately 30 rental houses.
He worked out every day and constantly wore a smile that could be seen for miles. He truly cared about people, doing anything he could to help a friend.
His death came suddenly, shocking the entire family.
Until this funeral, I had only attended one funeral and I was very young so it didn’t affect me the way this one did. This time I actually realized that sometimes people we love are taken away from us. I thought I had it so easy that I wasn’t going to have to endure any pain for a long time, but now that I have, I am glad because the impact he made on my life will never be forgotten and he will forever be My Jim.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
I am who I am today thanks to "My Jim"
Posted by Stacy Birk at 3/29/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comments:
That was a beautiful post Stacy. It is amazing how people really touch our lives. He sounds like a special person.
Post a Comment