GBE topic #46
This week's topic for the Group Blogging Experience is Vacation and I gladly jumped on this one.
The first thought that popped into my head when I heard vacation was the trip my family took to San Antonio when I was a child (well, and all the childhood trips we took).

Growing up, my parents made a point to take us to as many places as their finances would allow. While, we never really made it out of the midwest, our trips were full of fun and adventure.
We took our trip to San Antonio when I was 10 years old and we had only lived in Kansas a short time. Our friends Rick and Lori from Moore, OK invited us to come along with them as their daughter Brandee danced in a competition there. Brandee and I were best friends growing in Moore before we moved to Kansas, so it was so great for me to spend time with her again.
We traveled from Wichita to Moore and then down to Dallas. In Dallas we visited Six Flags. This was my first time to visit a large theme park (Silver Dollar City doesn't count) so we had a grand time riding rides until we were sick and eating lots of greasy, sweet foods.

After that we drove to San Antonio where the real vacation began. As I look back on this trip I realize that we did a heck of a lot of stuff in a short time. We visited the Alamo, the river walk, Sea World and traveled to Padre Island for one day to see the ocean (which was the first time Alicia and I had ever seen it). Padre was an adventure in itself. It was sunny when we get there, but in a short amount of time, storm clouds rolled in and we found ourselves fighting the wind, which was blowing sand at us from every direction. Nothing hurts worse than sand hitting you at 50 mph. But, we did manage to gather up a ton of seashells which we loaded in the van to take home, not even thinking that they would begin to smell like dead fish in a few days. That was a lesson learned, yuck.
Even with all the places I have been able to visit throughout my life, this Texas trip will always be one of my favorites. I am surprised how much I actually remember from it and how much I learned. I hope to take my kids there someday and share with them the great memories and experiences that I had.








2 comments:
Well, Stacy, I'm so glad you loved your Texas vacation. One year we went to Corpus Christi/San Antonio, and the minute I stepped out of the car I passed out on the beach. (We think it was the humidity.) I was then holed up in our hotel room for the majority of the trip, sicker than a dog. We did go to the Gulf to see the ocean, but there were dead jellyfish up and down the beach. I then picked up a HUGE shell laying on the beach, and just as I was saying, "Oh, Mom! I'm going to take this home!" a HUGE crab started crawling out of it. I hurled it down the beach and started screaming. I just remember thinking, "What the heck is WRONG with this place?!" :-) So, my memory of our Texas vacation is slightly clouded. I'm sure if I went back now it would be much better. I love the part about the shells smelling like dead fish. We never DO seem to remember that will be the result! Good post!
Good ol' childhood vacations! Yes, I remember partyin' together ya a few times... it's crazy you married Birk! I barely rememba him. I just remember he was part of the Pitt party group! It's a small world... glad u guys are doin well!
Post a Comment