Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Nothing too exciting

just felt like I needed to post something


We had a pretty laid back, but fun weekend. We had free tickets (the secretary at Jared's work got them for us. Thanks Paula) to the Shinedown concert at Club Fever. I wasn't real familiar with all the bands (Theory of a Deadman and Black Stone Cherry was there too), but I had heard a few of their songs on the radio. Kind of a mix between Nickelback, Daughtry and Hinder. At least, I thought that was what they all sounded like! :) It was a pretty good time and then we met Julie out at The Landing with her friend Adam. We danced the night away to a live band. Good times.
This week has been pretty laid back so far. I am feeling the sinus pressure coming on (imagine that, I am the queen of sinus infections). In fact, I didn't go into work Monday cause I woke up feeling like a bus had hit me. No fun.

This weekend is a fundraiser/beach party for the Center for the Homeless. On the River 2008, is organized by the Young Professionals Against Poverty and it held right across the street from my office building right on the river. There will be live bands, food, ice cold beer :) and other beverages, and they are bringing in 1,500 tons to sand to make it look like a real beach! It is only for adults 21 and over and it sounds really cool. Plus, all the advertising, planning and marketing for it is very professionally done. So, I think we will probably go check it out for a while, I mean after all, it's for a good cause :).

In fact, I might get some more information on this group and join them. I am already a part of the Young Professionals Network through the Chamber of Commerce, so this group might be a nice networking and volunteering opportunity as well. And, the Center for the Homeless here is really cool (if there is such a thing as cool homeless centers). Not sure what other homeless centers in other cities look like, but this one is amazing (thanks to Notre Dame's backing). We have meetings in their briefing center for the Young Professionals Network and it is amazing the services and resources they are able to offer people to help them find homes and get back on their feet. I imagine in this downward economy and the closing of several RV plants, and cuts at the Hummer Plant, in the area that they are seeing more and more people in need of services. :( It is sad and I sure hope something changes soon and helps those thousands of people who have lost their jobs.

0 comments: