Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I'll take an order of cheddar bites with ranch please

you Girard-ians will think this is hilarious


Living in the small town of Girard, Jared and I visited the Sonic Drive-in on a regular basis. Mostly we went for drinks and ice cream, but sometimes when we didn't want to cook we would head up there for a cheeseburger and fries. It was about the only place to go in Girard, besides eating at the bar (which is no good anymore without Connie cooking), the chinese place and the grocery store (whose expiration dates were always questionable).

So when we moved to South Bend we were overwhelmed with the amount of awesome restaurants, fast food joints and grocery stores that were available. For the first couple of weeks, we were so excited to NOT have to eat Sonic that we were going to all our favorites like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Famous Dave's BBQ, Fazolis and Buffalo Wild Wings. But then one night Jared wanted his usual vanilla shake from Sonic, so I said I would go grab him one when I headed to the bank. So, I asked, "Where is the sonic here anyway, I haven't seen it". And he replied, "Hell, I don't know. I thought maybe you knew". :)

So, we got out the handy dandy phone book to check it out. We could not find Sonic ANYWHERE! It was like the world had come to an end. The place we got so tired of and so sick of eating, we were now craving and wanting so bad. I mean, I know that not ALL fast food places are located everywhere and that not all cities have the same stores, etc., but there was a Sonic in Fredonia, Girard and Cherryvale Kansas.... so why not South Bend, Indiana.

Well, my friends, on the Monday evening news here in South Bend, among stories about 3 murders in Elkhart, a bank robbery in South Bend and a stabbing in Mishawaka was a story about the "Sonic opening in South Bend". I am telling you, it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. They said (and I quote) "Sonic features 50s style food and fun and the car-hops even bring out your food on roller skates." In my 26 years of life I have only seen maybe 2 car hops actually wear skates at Sonic. They were so excited for this "awesome food drive-in" to be in town that it even made the news. I was laughing so hard I thought I might pee myself. Too bad it is on the complete other side of town from us or maybe I would actually visit it. You never know... they might even get TWO Sonics in South Bend! Hell, that would be an entire news cast if that happened! :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Too funny! I love me a good cheddar bite from sonic. yummy.

Anonymous said...

My cousin connie from Ft Wayne always had to make sonic her first stop when she came to town b/c they didn't have them where she lived. She loved their onion rings.

I loved going to sonic when I lived in Nashville b/c it made me less homesick.

I feel ya, girl.