Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hangin' out in the C-Span tour bus

it's been an eventful morning

I get into work today and the girls are all heading out to see the C-Span tour bus that has stopped in South Bend for a public tour. So, we walked downtown and across the river (our office is about 2 blocks from the center of downtown and we are parallel to the river) to where the bus was parked. I even got to walk by the National College Football Hall of Fame, the Century Center and a really cool Chocolate Cafe that has all kinds of chocolate and candies as well as a cafe inside. Looks like I will have to give it a try sometime. :)

The C-Span bus was actually pretty cool, especially for a news-junkie and former reporter like myself.
I guess I have always watched more CNN or FOX and didn't realize that C-Span is a non-profit news organization that is funded solely by cable subscribers. They have no reporters, just cameramen (which explains the endless hours of the House and Senate proceedings that they air). Their whole motto is to show the entire speech, or entire event without reporters telling you what they said so that you can make up your mind about the candidates in a non-biased way. Sounds good to me!

We got to see where they interview everyone and where they produce the footage for the broadcast. It was pretty impressive! Roz and Beth even won t-shirts for guessing the names of several faces they flashed on a screen real fast. Then, Beth and Naomi were both interviewed to be on the local news! Way to go girls! They were calling themselves rock stars, but I wouldn't go that far, haha. I told them that this is only my first week and to give me time cause I will be a rock start too. I think they either think I am really cool, or just plain dumb. haha. Either way I don't care! They are fun and I love my job!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so glad your enjoying your new job. It sounds like it is near some neat stuff. Enjoy the chocolates if you try them.