Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Mom

Happy Mother's Day


Well, it's Mother's Day so I found it appropriate to salute my mother in the Birk Bulletin.
I've thanked my mother time and time again for the wonderful childhood I had. I look around at families today and the degree of dysfunction that they all manage to survive in and it makes me really thankful for what I had.

My mother always worked hard to give my sister and I everything we needed, not necessarily everything we wanted, but everything we needed. We were not spolied, but we were offered the chance to do fun things like take dance classes, go to the movies and the zoo, have big birthday parties and just be kids. She always took great care of us, often times staying up all hours of the night in case I had an asthma attack or to give me one of the dozen medications I was prescribed.

Discipline was always fair, even though I may have not thought so at the time and we were taught right from wrong, manners and not to be disrespectful of others. I have to say my parents did a good job with just the right balance of fun, love and tough love.

I love my mom. Sometimes we don't always see eye to eye, sometimes we argue, and sometimes we just can't undestand why the heck the other one thinks the way they do. But, she is always the first person I call when I've had a bad day, when I have good news to share and when I am sick (yes, I still call my mommy when I am sick).

So, thank you mom. Thank you for doing everything you did for me.
Thank you for making that Rainbow Bright Cake for my birthday that took you hours to make
Thank you for taking care of me when I was sick, which was pretty much all the time
Thank you for surprising me with New Kids on the Block tickets for Christmas 1989
Thank you for always throwing an arm in front of me in the car when you would come to an abrupt stop.
Thank you for teaching me how to clean (even though I hated it when I was a kid)
Thank you for attending the endless dance lessons, concerts and events
Thank you for teaching me how to apply makeup, how to dress and how to be a lady
Thank you for always being there, even when it was hard for you
Thank you for allowing me to try new things, even if I failed at them (tennis)
Thank you for listening to my hours and hours of stories and singing showchoir songs throughout the house
Thank you for making me laugh
Thank you for never giving up on me, even when it seemed like a pointless journey

Thank you for being you and always being there for me. I love you!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Very sweet! ;)