Monday, May 26, 2008

Birthdays, anniversaries and those we remember

Reflections and thoughts on Memorial Day

Jared's great-grandmother passed away yesterday. I never had a chance to meet her, but she lived a long, exciting life and God called her up at the age of 97. We had just received a card from Jared's Grandma Birk telling us that grandmother wasn't doing well, so we knew the end was near. Jared has fond memories of hanging out with Great-Grandmother Steele and Grandma Birk and I know that Jared, along with the entire Birk family, will miss her.

The passing of Great-Grandmother Steele got me thinking and reflecting on the people in my life that I have lost. I am fortunate to not have a large amount of loss in my life, but everyone who has touched my life and was taken to soon has a special place in my heart.

PePaw... everytime I smell sawdust and see power tools I think of you and all the hard work you did as a carpenter and all that you taught my dad about building quality houses and doing quality repairs. I can still see you running around our backyard with Benji and always making sure Alicia and I were doing ok. We all miss you, but know that you are well and we will see you again someday.

My Jim... you never stopped believing in me and I have never forgotten that. Even though I was not a biological granddaughter, you treated me like one and I am forever thankful for everything you did for me and how much you loved me. Thank you. I miss you and can't wait to tell you all the things I accomplished because you believed in me.

Grandmother... you left our family a long time ago but the memories of spending the night at your house are still vivid in my memory. How you put up with all of us kids over there, I have no idea, but we sure had a good time. I still think of you whenever I eat colored miniature marshmallows, and whenever I take a bite of your cornbread dressing. We all miss you.

Rosie... you were the best golden retriever we could have ever had. I still feel bad that you got sick right after I left for college. I know you were getting old, but I also know that you were sad when I moved away. You were the best dog, even though you always moved my shoes, stole my pillows and got hair all over everything, haha. I miss you

Bo... you were taken way to soon. No one has been able to figure out why, but God had a reason to take both you and your brother. I miss you and I think of you often. No one could tease me with a goofy grin on their face like you could and I will never forget all the nights we spent talking on the phone, sitting in your car outside my house and how happy you made me when you came to see me at work. I miss you and please help OU out this football season! You gotta have some kind of Angel powers or something, haha.

OK, ENOUGH SADNESS.....

Today is also a day to celebrate. Today is my friend Jeremy's birthday, my friend Melanie's birthday and my parents 30th wedding anniversary!

Happy Birthday everyone and Happy Anniversary mom and dad!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Rosie. She was a sweetie. It is scary how fragile life really is. I suppose there are a few people who have passed away since high school who could give us all a lesson about the fragility of life.

Well, on another note--mark Brad and I down for FIVE years on June 7. Happy Anniversary to us! Hehehe. I hope you are enjoying the Hoosier State.