Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mixed Feelings

the job market game is tough

I had my first interview for a job today in Indiana and it went really well and I actually think I have a good chance of being offered the position, which is great!

But on the other side I have mixed feelings because it IS only part-time (30 hours a week) but hte hourly wage is exactly what I made in Kansas (maybe even a little more). So, while it is 10 hours less a week, it has perks! Plus it is very close to home, which means less mileage, and it seems like a job I would really enjoy!

My fear is that I will accept it (if it is even offered to me) and then start receiving calls from all the other places that I have applied for an interview. Or my other fear is that I will deny this offer and then not receieve any other job offers. There is no happy medium.

I know people leave jobs all the time, but say I did take this job. They are right in the middle of their primetime event planning season and it is only an office of 2 people. So, I would HATE to leave the job and do that to someone, just like I would hate if someone did that to me. Plus, working at this organization would be great networking opportunity within the commnunity for future job searches. But, do I want to pass up a potentially good opportunity with another organization? Do I go ahead and interview at another place just to see? Do I just deny the offer and look for full-time?

SOOOO many questions! And, of course, I am putting the cart before the horse when I even ASSUME I will be offered the job.

But, here's the thing. All the great prevention jobs I have applied for haven't called me. One I applied for in March and they have not even begun to fill it. Kind of frustrating. I have called on a few and have been sent to a voicemail of some random person and no one has returned my calls.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! What to do?

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I think if you are offered the job you should take it. Maybe it's something that could turn into full time down the road. Maybe you can get them through the busy time and if something else comes along that is better then take it. Worry about now not what MIGHT happen in two weeks or a month, because who knows. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I also say take the position if it's offered and it's something that you really think you'd like to do. If another position is offered down the road, even if it is two weeks, you can use the current job as leverage to get the pay and benefits you want. Plus you can tell the current people that there's a better offer on the table. Even though you might be putting someone out, it's a job and that's the what happens. You have to think about what's going to be best for you and your family. Good luck, though. I hope something great comes your way!