Friday, April 25, 2008

Am I in college again?

the only thing missing is a couch on the patio and a keg in the dining room

We have started to get everything organized in our little two bedroom apartment and I have to say that it looks a little hodge podge. I might have mentioned in a blog before that Jared and I are sharing this apartment with the salesman for Jake’s. He will only be up here about 6 months or so, until season is over. He is a real nice guy and a lot of fun and it is saving me and Jared a ton of money. Plus it gives me and Jared a chance to get settled and save money before we go house hunting.

The downside? Hicks (our roommate… his name is Jared too so I just call him by his last name) has furnishings, kitchen supplies etc. and of course so do Jared and I. Before we came up here I figured we would move all Hicks’s things out and move all ours in. While our furniture is outdated, it does all match and is in great shape (before the move)!! Plus we have all kinds of pretty things we received when we got married.

Well, when it came down to it I didn’t really wanna mess with it, especially since we would only be here for a year (Hicks’ 6 months). So his couch which is straight out of the 80s art deco phase, his green recliner and our blue recliner now adorn our living room. We managed to salvage our corner entertainment center (which is pretty to look at, but not real stable) and we brought in our little end table that matches the entertainment center. Our multi-colored plaid couch, circa 1992, is sitting in the warehouse in Elkhart along with many of our other furniture items that either wouldn’t fit or we didn’t wanna mess with. It really does look like we are in college, haha. But, you know what? I really don’t care that much. Firstly because we haven’t made any friends so no one will see it but us and secondly Jared and I haven’t invested in nice furniture yet mostly because we would rather spend the money going on a trip, or paying down our debt, or just going out to eat and messing around.

Our thought is that life is too short to sit around a look at everything you bought for your house when there are so many things out there to do, learn and explore. Of course, we want nice things and eventually, within the next year, we will buy new living room furniture. It just isn’t a priority of ours at the moment.

By the way, this blog brought to you courtesy of Starbucks WiFi!!! And, what happened to FREE wireless at Starbucks... I had to buy a day pass on T-Mobile. Looks like I will be sitting in front of a random apartment building again cause this is crap! :)

0 comments: