Monday, April 20, 2009

Been a Hoosier for a year now

I can't believe it!

Well, an entire year has gone by since Jared and I loaded up everything we owned into a moving truck, said goodbye to our cozy little house in Girard and the SEK area we had called home for 8 years and headed north. It hardly seems possible that it has been this long because I still find myself telling people that I JUST moved here from Kansas. I guess because it still feels like I JUST moved here the other day.

I am adjusting well, but I still miss Kansas all the time. There is something to be said about the people of the heartland and southern hospitality. Up here, you really don't see it as much. A girl who is from southern Indiana once told me that northern Indiana and southern Indiana are like two different worlds... the people up here are different, maybe because of the vicinity to Chicago. I'm not saying everyone is rude and crude, but when you move from a town like Girard where everyone knows everyone and is super nice, to a city the size of Wichita with the attitude of Chicago... it is a lot different. I would think even if I moved to Kansas City or even Wichita I may experience a similar change.

With that said... there are a lot of things I like about living here. Being close to Chicago is pretty cool, and having Lake Michigan in our backyard is pretty neat too. We have met some great people up here though and made some good friends, which makes it a lot more fun.

I have learned a few things about myself in this last year of living up north:
1. I still hate snow, but after battling the worst winter northern Indiana has seen in YEARS, I can safely say that I survived and am pretty good at driving on that yucky stuff now.
2. I pick up accents REALLY EASILY! I really want my Oklahoma accent back , but it is long gone if I stay up here. It is hard to explain the accent unless you hear me, but it isn't Wisconsin with the long o's, it is more that the o's sound like a's and all the a's are kinda nasal. LOL! I hate it and I catch myself doing it all the time! ARGH!
3. Notre Dame is pretty cool, but when you live here you kinda get over it pretty quick.
4. Chicago is AWESOME!!!!
5. I don't take my job for granted anymore. It may suck, but since our area has the worst unemployment rate in the nation, I just suck it up and do my job and be thankful I have one.
6. I thoroughly enjoy a warm day and sunshine more than before.
7. I have met some of the best people in the area through Premier Designs Jewelry
8. Moving and enduring tough times strengthens and bonds a marriage. So many times Jared and I didn't think we were going to make it, that we made a mistake. It has helped us communicate better and put our faith in each other.
9. I can now ride/drive in a car for a long period of time :) I used to think I would never make long trips
10. Sometimes you have to take a chance in life, even if it is scary, to grow as a person. This experience was scary, and in a lot of ways it still is. But, I feel Jared and I have both grown and flourished through this.

So, here's to surviving a year as a Hoosier!!!!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats on a year..wow time has gone by fast!!!! You guys have done well with the changes.

Julie said...

woot woot! Miss you just as much as I did a year ago, and more!

Misty said...

I am so proud of you for taking a leap of faith to see what life had to offer. Your willingness to try new things has always impressed me. I still miss ya like crazy and can't say that I wouldn't wish you back to KS in a minute. Can't wait to come to the area and visit soon!

Delena said...

The A's DRIVE ME NUTS! Words like "that", "can,"...anything with the short a...I hated it. And I find myself saying the words like the Michiganders did!

Other things that drove me nuts:
1.) They consider themselves living in the mid-west. I do not. I consider them northerners.

2.) They call water fountains, "drinking fountains."

3.) A sub sandwich is considered a hoagie there.