Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rollin' Rollin' for Rollercoasters

whew, what a day


We finally made it to Cedar Point Amusement Park on Saturday and we had a fun, but exhausting day. And, sorry folks, I have no photos. :( I was going to take my camera in but then the guys kept saying, "well, don't get mad at us when it breaks or you lose it". They had a good point. So I opted to leave it in the car.

It was a beautiful day in Sandusky, OH. It was probably about 80 degrees, sunny and a slight breeze. The park is situated on a peninsula on Lake Erie so as you are ascending up the rollercoasters you could see water on both sides of the park that seemed to go on forever like an ocean. It was breathtaking!

We rode about 3 really cool coasters and then I talked the boys into riding the "Thunder Canyon" ride. For you Kansans, just think "Fury of the Nile". I LOVE water rides and I don't care about being wet and walking around the park. Well, even on the Fury, you know that some people get wet and others don't, so I figured we could count on at least one of us leaving the ride virtually unscathed by the big waves and pouring waterfalls.

Well, I was wrong. This ride showed no mercy.

As we approached the line we noticed there was almost no one in line. "Great" we thought, at least there is not a wait. Little did we know that this should have been a sign to turn around and go on a different ride instead. There were signs on the path warning "you WILL get wet on this ride" and "Ponchos and rain jackets for sale". We thought "Duh, you will get wet, that's the point and who in their right mind would buy a poncho to go on a water ride."

As we wait to get on the next boat we see people getting off their raft DRIPPING wet from head to toe. Not a dry spot on them. WOW... that can't happen every time. Can it?

I am here to tell you folks that it does in fact happen EVERY time. We managed to miss a few big waves and scraped by the first waterfall and thought maybe we were home free with just a little wetness. Oh, but we were wrong. At the very end we see what seemed like 5 waterfalls (3 on one side and 2 on the other) and these weren't trickling, slow moving waterfalls folks. These were gushing, pouring waterfalls and when I say we got wet, I mean we were soaked from head to toe... all three of us. I thought it was fun so I didn't care too much. I had on capris that had a great material that dried real fast, a tank top and flip flops. Well, Jared had on jean shorts and Hicks had on khaki cargoes and they both had t-shirts. At least Hicks wore flip flops, but poor Jared had on his usual tennis shoes and socks. YUCK! They pretty much cursed me for taking them on the ride the rest of the day :) I apologized, but then laughed secretly. :)
Here's a few photos from the Cedar Point website of a few rollercoasters we rode.


There were many more rides that we didn't get a chance to ride because they were so busy. We hope to go back soon and ride some more! :)

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Wow! I'm so jealous that looks awesome! I've never seen a straight up & down coaster! Ditto to loving water rides... at least you weren't wearing a white t-shirt ;)

Sarah said...

I love rides. I haven't been on a coster for soooooo long. I am glad you had a great time.

Once I wore light tan pants on a water ride. BIG MISTAKE!