Wednesday, December 19, 2007

R-E-S-P-E-C-T


what happened to kids respecting their elders?

This is going to seem like a strange blog after the one yesterday about wanting to have children, but I just trained over 200 students today in grades 5-12 and I am worn out, tired and a little bitchy. God Bless the teachers in this world because I couldn't do what they do everyday.

I really enjoy working with youth. I usually learn some new, hip phrases to use with my old, not-so-hip friends. I usually have a great time watching their eyes light up when something just clicks and they have that "Ah ha" moment. And I am just so envious of their energy levels, their zest for life and their resiliency.

But one thing I am not so impressed with is the lack of respect for others and how cruel and mean kids can be.

It might help you to understand if you knew what it is I do when I work with youth. One of the programs I work with at Greenbush is our bullying prevention program. We go into schools and teach students about bullying -- how to prevent it, how to stand up for yourself and how to defend someone who is being bullied. In addition we talk a lot about the seriousness of school violence.

I have to admit, we have a pretty awesome program we do with kids. It is very interactive, fun and challenging. But the biggest challenge we have is just getting the students to respect us and respect others around them. Don't get me wrong, it is not all of them, but we've experienced many trainings where we leave the school saying, "did that really happen, did they really say that?" For example, one time I had a few 5th graders that would not participate in a group activity. I asked them to get into groups and these students just sat there and did not go to any group. I asked them to please join a group. They did not move. I asked them again. STILL no movement. I, once again said, "You need to participate and join a group please". The response I got, "We don't want to, this is so stupid. You can't make us do anything" RESPECT! Then, in another instance we were having a really good time with an activity in a group of 5-8th graders. I asked them if they were having a good time. One student in the front row said, "No, you are annoying me." RESPECT!

I could go on and on but I will spare you the details. My point is, what has happened to respect? I don't remember students being as bad when I was young? Maybe they were and I just didn't notice. Either way, it is fairly common for me to come home from work, tell Jared about my day and say, "OUR children will NOT act like that." Jared is scared that I will be so strict with our kids that I will drive them to be rebelleous, haha. I hope I don't do that, I hope I can be fair and provide consistent discipline. But most of all, I want to raise respectful, caring, and giving children that will think about how their actions may hurt someone before they do it. But in this crazy world, this will take alot of work.

0 comments: