Sunday, December 16, 2007

Holiday Traditions


i was thinking a lot the other day about holiday traditions

Mostly because Jared and I were heading to his annual "Birk Family Christmas Dinner" when we found out it was cancelled due to impending weather. This dinner has been a tradition in his family for years. It has grown so large that most of the time Jared doesn't even know everyone that attends! As you can imagine, this is a typical family gathering filled with food, dessert, kiddos running everywhere, grandma's giving kisses and pinching cheeks and, of course, a visit from "Santa" for all the kids.

This is a tradition that is new to me and yet very exciting. My family always got together for holidays, but my family is much smaller and our traditions are diferent. But boy, did we know how to have a good Christmas!

My dad's side of the family always had more of the traditions than my mom's side. My MamMaw knew the importance of getting the family together for a home cooked meal, gifts and the "Family Portraits" in front of the fireplace. I can still hear her Oklahoma drawl hollering out from the kitchen, "Ok everybody, it's time for the family portraits, everybody needs to get ready, we've got to do our family portraits." My MamMaw is a little spit-fire... not someone you want to mess with. If you can imagine a loud-mouthed, small framed, red-haired Okie who has a temper to match... that's her. But, gosh... we just love her that way. Every year she would holler out to get the family lined up for portraits and you could hear the moans and groans from everyone. I remember one Christmas when my sister was trying to get in every picture. It was hilarious... she had to have been maybe 3 or 4 years old. They would get ready to snap a photo and Alicia would just come and stand right in front and stare at the camera with candy in her hand and a ponytail full of curls on top of her head. She was so cute though, no one could even yell at her, haha.

My parents had their own semi-traditions with us girls. Each morning when we got up the fireplace doors would still be open and there would be a half-eaten cookie on the plate we left for santa. My dad, he is just so clever, he would say to us "Look at that... Santa was in such a hurry he only ate half his cookies and he didn't even have a chance to shut the doors" We thought it was fascinating when we were little.... now I just think my dad had too much time on his hands to think all that up! haha. But either way, Alicia and I just knew Santa was real and it made Christmas such a special time.

On my mom's side of the family I had a grand ole time with my cousins. We were all pretty close in age and we just had a blast together. I remember singing Christmas songs with them and laughing when Kellie didn't know the right words to Silent Night... "Round yon Virgigen (instead of Virgin)". I don't know how to spell it because it isn't a word but boy was it funny when she said it.

These traditions and memories hold a special place in my heart and this is why Jared and I want to start our own traditions when we have a family. This year we decided to fill each other's stockings with fun, non-expensive items that we think each other would like. It is a fun idea and one that we can continue year after year. Another one I really want to do with our kids someday is singing Christmas Carols. I'm sure I will think of more ways to bring new traditions and memories into our small family, but this is a good start.

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so happy you started a blog on blogger. I love it. Now I can read yours and keep up to date with what you guys are up to. Have a wonderful Christmas! And a safe new year.