Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Doctor, doctor... I got the FEVER!


i've got the baby fever

About three years ago, everyone I knew was getting married. Now all of them are starting families and everytime I see or hold one of those precious babies my heart sinks in my chest and flutters like a million butterflies. It feels like being excited, nervous, amazed, scared and in love all at the same time.

At first when I would feel this way it would go away for a while and I would say to myself, "I'm just not ready yet." But, for the past couple of weeks that feeling has not gone away. Maybe it's because my boss just had her sweet baby girl Makenna 4 weeks ago, or that two sets of our friends came home over Thanksgiving with their new additions to the family, or that I hear stories of parenthood all day long from co-workers and friends.

Jared shares my feelings about having a family, but he wants to wait a little longer until things are more stable in our life. HA! If we wait until then I will probably be in a nursing home! I can definately see his point of view. But if we wait until we are ready, we will never be ready.

When it comes right down to it, there is only one thing that is really holding us back - our very busy jobs. Not only do we work full-time jobs, but both our occupations require an extensive amount of travel. Which would not be an issue if we had family around to help us with our kiddos. I see how much all my friends and co-workers rely on their families for help and support even if they do not have jobs that require travel. Even my friends that have chosen the wonderful role of a stay-at-home mom need the help and support of their families once in a while. We have chosen to live away from our parents and we are happy where we are at the time, but moving closer to our family is a thought that has crossed our minds. How do we make this work with our parents living 2 or more hours away? How do we both keep our full-time jobs and find someone to watch our children if we have to go away overnight?

These questions stress me out! We ARE fully aware how much a child will change our lives, how much we will have to sacrifice and how hard it will be for us to learn and adjust to having a little one, but it is difficult for us to imagine how our life would work without our families. Of course, if we were rich the answer to that question would be easy, haha.

I don't think the baby fever will go away anytime soon, but maybe the fears and worries I have will subside in the near future. Let's all hope anyway. :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your time will come and it will be wonderful! You guys will make beautiful babies.

Julie said...

Ok SERIOUSLY I am here for you girl and I can be the "Aunt" in Girard that your baby needs to help during those busy times. Overnights, late nights, whatever, I'm here girl! Avery always needs more friends.

Also, it will happen when its right. JoeDel and I started trying right away b/c we thought it would take awhile...and, obviously, it didnt take long at all...but everyone is different so lets get this ball rolling! :) :)

Love ya,
Julie