Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Your love is like bad medicine

Bad medicine is what I need

Whoa, oh, oh
Shake it up just like bad medicine
There ain't no doctor that can cure my disease

My kitty Jada is sick. The vet said she has a bacteria infection in her colon and her teeth and gums are infected and need a good cleaning. I feel like the worst cat momma ever for not realizing her teeth were so bad.
Anyway, I have to give her pills and it is not pleasant. I have a very lovable and sweet kitty, but she is also very sneaky and evasive at times. Many lessons have already been learned in this "Operation Pill Drop" process.

Lesson 1: Trying to hide the pill in soft food does not work. Jada licks around the pill and then looks up at me like "what?" All I can do is laugh because she is so matter of fact about it; like she knows she just tricked me.

Lesson 2: It is impossible to just hold her and try to open her mouth and place the pill on the back of her throat. She wiggles around like a freakin' worm and her head twists all around like something on the Exorcist.

Lesson 3: Be prepared for some dirty cat looks and a ton of fur flying around if you get some of the pill on her tongue and she gets a taste of the nasty pill. I was cleaning up slobber all over the place this morning from that experience and the looks she was giving me.... wwhhheeww... she was not happy with me at all. If only I could explain to her that if I put it on the back on her throat she swallow and she doesn't even have to taste it.

Lesson 4: Trying to hide the food in a Pill Pocket (a treat the vet gave me with a special spot inside for the pill) does not work either. She eats the treat and spits out the pill and looks up with me with the same look from lesson 1.

Lesson 5: The handy-dandy pill gun they gave me works pretty well if you have 20 minutes of time to actually get her to sit still for at least 5 seconds and then get her mouth open and shoot the pill inside before she bites you. I wasn't even that good at it because this is when the slobber came about because she tasted it. I have discovered that it would be easier if Jared helped me hold her head but he was sleeping and I didn't wanna wake the beast. :)

So, needless to say, my child is not only a pain in the neck, but also quite expensive. The things I do for this little ball of fur that I love. :) Oh, I can't wait to have children... at least I am getting good practice.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

LMAO... Too funny!

Anonymous said...

I's so sorry to hear about your cat. I hope she learns to lighten up a bit for you about taking the pills. Take this as your first lessons in preparation for parenting, there's always drama and things are always at least twice as hard as they should be to get done! You'll be a great "people mom" someday, don't worry about that. Kids like animals are resilient, unless you do something really horrible, you won't screw them up too bad.

Barb said...

I have to hide Lucky's in ice cream! Talk about spoiled rotten!

Unknown said...

Left you something on my blog.

Hope you are having a wonderful vacation!