Hello bloggie world!
I am coming to you from the Gaylord Resort and Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland (just outside of Washington D.C.). I am here for the annual Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) Leadership Conference. Pretty much it is a bunch of ass-kissing political mumbo-jumbo mixed with some pretty informative, long and (seats are always uncomfortable) break out sessions. I usually get some pretty good ideas and strategies to take home from this conference, even though it is pretty "conferency" including the humor, super fake people and the typical conference food. YUCK!
In the past, this conference has been held on downtown D.C., which is great because you can walk to great restaurants, shopping and entertainment and the Metro is easy to access. Well, they moved to this brand new resort this year. The resort is nice, over-looking the Potomac, and has everything you need if you have loads of cash to pay for it. WOW... really.... it is absurd. There isn't even a Mickey D's or Subway around the corner for back-up when you blow your per diem money. But, overall, I guess it isn't too bad. :)
On another note.... President Obama was in Elkhart, Indiana today. Elkhart is about 15 miles from us (South Bend, Mishawaka and Elkhart all run together) and it is where Jared's warehouse is located. Elkhart is known as the "RV Capital of the World" so, as you can imagine, when gas prices went up and the economy went down the pooper, the RV industry took a huge hit. Obama visited Elkhart during his campaign and made a trip back to push his stimulus plan. I am still on the fence about this stimulus plan, mostly because I don't know enough about it. However, I DO know that the unemployment rate in Elkhart, South Bend and Mishawaka is continuing to skyrocket. I hope, whatever Obama, his administration and Congress do, that it will create a positive work environment and workforce in northern Indiana again.
Enough politics for one night... whew, this city is exhausting! :) And, tomorrow I am on Capital Hill to visit with Indiana senators. AHHH... stop the political madness :)
As they say in D.C..... see you on the hill.
Monday, February 9, 2009
The Nation's Capital
Posted by Stacy Birk at 2/09/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comments:
The HMS crew checked out of Gaylord National on Sunday! Craziness
Post a Comment