Sunday, February 15, 2009

I just need 10 minutes to vent

Anyone who knows me very well knows that when I am overwhelmed, stressed or something is making me angry I just need time to talk about it and get it out there and then I am better. I will normally say, "I just need 10 minutes to vent and then I will be fine". Misty, my friend from Kansas, knows this all too well when we worked together at Greenbush. I still ask her to lend an ear via the phone when I need to just "talk it out".

Well, blog world. I just need 10 minutes of your cyber space time to vent and throw myself a pity party. You are all invited to attend if you so choose. :)

Why is it that just when Jared and I think we are getting ahead and our finances are improving that something else has to go wrong! First, his truck breaks down, second, my jewelry shows cancel and thirdly, uncle sam decides to take us for all we are worth.

I look around at other people our age and I am filled with jealousy and anger because I just don't understand why we can't just get ahead. It is so unfair, and I know life isn't fair, but this is such complete bullshit. I look around and all my friends own homes (that they actually LIVE in), they have nice furnishings, take awesome vacations, and many of them having babies (something that I yearn for). Then I look at us. We own a home we DON'T live in and can't seem to sell. We have debt we are able to manage, but can't get paid down. Everything we own is a "hand-me-down". We live in an apartment with a roommate, which we love Hicks but would love to have a place of our own. We have a broken vehicle and I have to drive him to work in Elkhart and pick him up everyday until we get a new one. We have to pay over $1,000 in taxes this year because of my contract job over the summer, which has temporarily pushed back our car purchasing adventure. It just isn't fair.

I know, I know.... everyone has their issues and I KNOW it could always be worse. I know some of this we brought on ourselves. We could both be unemployed (thankful we both have jobs), we could be homeless. It could always be worse. But this is my 10 minute pity party so this is how I vent about it.

Jared, bless his heart, has held me together these past few days. When we were sitting at H & R Block staring at the screen that said "you owe..." I was about to lose it. We were aware that working as a contract employee would mean paying those taxes at tax time. We set money aside for this exact reason. However, it wasn't enough and we thought that the money we got back on our other W2s would balance out what we owed and we would get nothing back or get very little back. We never expected THIS to happen. It is a good thing I was showing a loss on Premier Jewelry for last year or we would have been paying upwards of $2,000!!!! I could feel my face getting hot, my hands starting to sweat and my leg shaking. I was panicking. But, Jared (who was just as panicked as I was) sensed that I was on the verge of a breakdown and he held it together for us. He said, "we can do this", "we can make this work", "we will be ok". God, I love that man!

After going through our budget we will be able to make it work. It may be April 13 when we send it off, but we will get it done. Which explains why I am sending this blog from the Jake's Warehouse. Jared needed some help getting ready for a new scanner system and Hicks needs help setting up a new show room. So, here I am... again. But, it is money and every little bit helps so I can't complain. I am also even more motivated to get shows booked that will hold.

I know that God is testing me. I asked him to be with me and help me and I have been trying to control everything again instead of putting it in his hands. I've let Satan come knocking with his pessimistic attitude and I can't let it get to me. I've got to see, believe in and grab a hold of that silver lining because I know it is there somewhere. But, for now... I just needed my 10 minutes to vent. Thanks for listening and I feel a lot better.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

only you have the power to change.
There is job opening in Tulsa for training new hires. Any intrest?

Julie said...

I am thinking of you girl. You are doing the right thing - when you give your problems to God you will be amazed at how He will work it all out. In the meantime, I love you!

Sherry said...

You two will pull through. Maybe this will make you feel a little better; I just had to spend $586 on getting my car fixed! We also had to put new tires on my car a few months ago so that was another $500. And when taxes are said and done we will owe a little. It would be more but we are putting some into an IRA to lower the amount but no big refund for us either. How do people get these huge refunds (besides having kids)? I don't get it. So, I know you feeling down, but it will get better.

Delena said...

You know, I just posted on the patron saint of real estate: St. Joseph. Whether you're Catholic or not, I would ask St. Joseph to help you with the selling-of-the-house-situation. He rocks!

And remember: there really isn't an "ideal" time to have a baby. It's always going to be rough because you will always feel like you're not giving them enough. That's what parenting is all about: wanting everything to be perfect for your child. We have two kids, and I stay at home. My husband makes decent money for living in KC, but we have a mortgage and bills. Diapers are expensive, food is expensive...but you make it work. It's all about sacrifice. We don't have fancy cars, fancy dinners, or fancy home furnishings. But we have working vehicles, dinner on the table each night, and a home filled with joy and laughter. You can do it! Hang in there!

Misty said...

As always, 10 minutes does us all good rather than letting it fester up inside. Sorry the summer job ended up putting you further behind than you imagined but it led you to greater work that is impacting peoples lives. You are who you are, doing what you do, and loving who you do because a higher power knows what's in store for you. I would guess that's great things and you need to be strong to see the gold at the end of the rainbow.

Jen said...

So frustrating! I definitely remember feeling this way, especially when we were first married. I felt like everyone had nice things, and we had handmedown, ratty stuff, and most of our friends were buying nice homes, etc. I can totally relate.

Don't you worry. It WILL get better. You guys are hard workers, and eventually that will be rewarded. Just keep on keeping on.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! I wish I was there with you at the warehouse! You said something about looking at what others have - Well you have to remember it's what they want you to see. Those that have the nice car, nice place of their own, and nice stuff are probably miserable and probably unhappy. You have got a great guy in Jared - lean on him he can hold you up. God will bring you through!!