Sunday, September 27, 2009

Me, Myself and I

ever just wanna get away by yourself for a day?

Well, I did it today! I decided last night I needed a little "getaway for the day" for me. I have been wanting to go north and explore Michigan for a long time and so I just decided to go for it!

I did about 2 minutes worth of google searching and chose Holland, Michigan as my destination, as well as some areas around it too. It about a little under 2 hours away.... not too bad! I can get to the beach in Michigan City, IN in about 45 minutes, but I wanted to see Michigan and the dunes that everyone talks about.

So, I took off with my GPS and a bag with a beach towel, magazine, MP3 player, and camera.

My first destination was on the northside of Holland (which, by the way, Holland itself is a cute town) called Tunnel Park because of the unique tunnel they constructed through a dune to access the beach. I took the stairs all the way up and all the way down the other side of the dune and walked a beach a little. Then took the stairs all the way back up and over before I took the path to the tunnel. It was breathtaking. The dunes were beautiful, the sky was the blue and the water was just like an ocean. It was good to see a lot of people on the beach with their dogs and children. Totally cool!

Then I headed south of Holland to a more secluded dune beach called Laketown Beach. It was nestled back into the dunes on a dead end road. These were big dunes folks and I definitely got my workout on this beach! The climb up the dune and down was exhausting but sooooo worth it. The views from the top were amazing. Walking onto the beach I see two people, a woman down the beach a ways sunbathing and a man throwing a huge stick in the water to his little dog. It was a sight to see! :) Provided me some entertainment. It was in this secluded spot I put down my blanket (which took several tries because it was super windy), took out my MP3 player and my magazine and soaked in every bit of Lake Michigan goodness. All I could hear was the waves, the wind, and Rascal Flatts. It was perfect. Sigh. I walked the beach at Laketown for a little while too. Getting my toes in the water and watching the waves crash. :)

Here are some pics from my adventure!


The tunnel through the sand dunes are Tunnel Park, Holland, Michigan.


Views at Tunnel Park.


The views from above the dunes at Laketown Beach
Climbing the stairs. Not sure how many I climbed today, but I definitely got my workout!


I just couldn't help myself!



Relaxing and listening to music.


Sand between the toes feels good!

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Cool pics...looks like a fun day!

Delena said...

Isn't Holland where they have the annual tulip festival? We never made it there when we lived there. :-(